Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Vintage fabrics

I love vintage fabrics from the 40's-50's and I have collected them for more than 10 years. I have now many suitcases full of fabrics but it's hard to find a large quantities of each NOS. I sometimes find less than one meter but when I'm lucky more than 10 meters...

It's easier to find barkclothes fabrics than clothes ones. I will share with you some of my fabrics that I love the most.

50's atomic barkclothes

























Other 50's barkclothes












40's-50's clothes fabrics


















What a pity not to know how to sew when I have all these fabrics waiting for some amazing sewing projects!!! For barkclothes, my mum helped me to use some of them to decorate our home but for the moment I can only dream about being able to make a dress with this beautiful 40's yellow rayon!

Next step... buying a good working sewing machine... I own 2 vintage ones but they don't work really well... and take time to learn how to sew!

Do you collect vintage fabrics?
Do you use them for your sewing projects?

11 comments:

  1. The mustard yellow with white flowers is perfect for a dress, others are beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite one! Moreover I have about 6m of it so enough for a dress...

      Delete
  2. Oooh keep the vintage machines! I have 3 and they are all I sew on. I have a Bernina from the 60s, a Singer from the 50s and a Kenmore from the 50s. The Bernina and Singer are both top of the line wonders. Old machines are made of metal and are workhorses. You should be able to find someone who can repair them, or let your husband loose on them. Unless it is something actually broken, fixing them is like tinkering with a car. I've fixed up both of mine and others that I've sold! There is stuff all over the internet about it.
    As for your fabric, it's AMAZING. I *love* the pink/green one that looks like little farms with red trees?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These fabrics are absolutely beautiful! I adore vintage fabric. I often see ones I like at estate sales, but I never purchase them because I'm a terrible seamstress. It would break my heart to ruin the fabric with my terrible sewing skills. Lol.

    Good luck with your projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely collection, thank you for sharing! I would love a quilt for my bed with each one of the atomic bark-cloths. My favourite is the indians, I am in horse mode at present - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lady, you need to learn to sew. Dresses for the decent lengths of material, cushions for the small bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... but with a full time job, house works, this blog, travels, flea markets, familly and friends, I don't have so much time left!
      But I MUST learn one day...

      Delete
  6. Incredible collection!! I'm practically drooling. They are all fabulous. I think one of my favorites is 8th from the top, mostly red with splashes of green, yellow and a bit of blue.

    You definitely should learn to sew, you could make some amazing creations with these! I have a very very small collection of vintage fabrics, and even though I sew I'm still scared to use some of them (I don't consider my skills worthy yet and I don't do it enough, lol). I'm particularly fond of patterns on feedsacks, but with so little fabric I'd have to be really creative, like embellishing something with them as pockets or a collar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such gorgeous fabrics, I love them all! You've made me really want to go and buy some material now! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh fabric lust. These all are gorgeous, though I'd be worried about cutting them up, not being an expert. I'd just keep them in a drawer and smile at them now and again

    ReplyDelete
  9. VERY nice!
    I've just found your blog, so I haven't seen photos from your home yet, but how about pillows? I don't think you can ever get too many pillows, and they are great at adding a splash of colour and easy to change. And - easy to sew. Just an idea. :)

    ReplyDelete